Among all the gaming consoles launched by the Sony Corporation from the very beginning till now under the heading of PlayStation, the most preferred according to buyer choice, best selling, and with the highest number of units sold is the PlayStation 2 (Two).
Perhaps this is the primary reason why many video gamers still have a craze for playing its classic games whether it be on the PlayStation 2 itself or using an emulator such as PS2Emu to play on their personal computer.
What is PS2Emu?
PS2Emu is another well-known emulator for playing PlayStation 2 games on a personal computer through emulation. Its development was started by Shunt, Scar_T, and Roor.
Although these developers were already well-known in the field of making emulators and based on their experience, the primary reason for making PS2Emu was to develop an emulator that could emulate games at a much faster rate than any other emulator at that time, the complete and stable version of the PS2Emu never got released.
Its developers abandoned the project in the experimental stage despite having a little success in their mission to build a faster emulator.
Due to this reason, the PS2Emu emulator is often labeled as a very basic emulator for PS2 games.
Pros and Cons
Since the development phase of the PS2Emu never went ahead from the experimental stage, its pros and cons are limited.
- The only pros factor worth mentioning is its original concept to build an emulator that could overcome the lagging issues by being faster.
- It still remains in an incomplete version.
- It does not come with any plugins, although it requires them to function properly. You will have to search and download its plugins separately.
How to install PS2Emu on Windows PC?
The following steps mention how to install the PS2Emu emulator on your personal computer which runs on Windows operating systems.
- First start with searching on the internet for the PS2Emu emulator’s most recent and updated version, although it will be quite old still the latest that was released back then is what you should be looking for.
- After downloading the .ZIP folder, extract the files like you do with other emulators and run the .EXE file from the folder.
- Now simply follow the on-screen instructions and the PS2Emu will be ready to run your favorite classic PS2 ROMS on your personal computer.
- In case, there arise any issues while running any game ROM on the PS2Emu emulator, you just need to adjust the settings related to it and it will work smoothly.
- However, since the PS2Emu is also available as an unfinished version of itself, beginners and inexperienced gamers should go for many stable versions of some other PS2 emulator for Windows running personal computer.
- Another thing to remember here is that like every other emulator on the internet for playing PlayStation 2 games on a personal computer, PS2Emu also does not come with a PS2 BIOS as it is illegal to distribute it to non-owners of the PlayStation 2 gaming console.
How to play games on it?
To play any game on the PS2Emu emulator for PlayStation, follow the below mentioned steps –
- Run the PS2Emu emulator.
- Now see that a menu appears on the left-hand side of the screen.
- If needed, adjust the config mode and game controls from this menu.
- Next, click on the button titled ‘Load ELF’ to load your favorite PlayStation classic video game. ‘ELF’ means ‘Executable and Linkable Format’ and is a standard file format used for PlayStation games executable files.
- Once successfully loaded, you can play your game.
- An important point to note here is that since PS2Emu was never completely developed, it is highly likely that it won’t run all of the games you want to play. So the right thing to do is to go for an emulator with a stable release.
PS2Emu System requirements
Since the PS2Emu is an older emulator, almost all of the personal computers today are very well equipped with more than the minimum hardware and software specifications needed to run the PS2Emu emulator.
This again, however, is too much extent dependent on what game you are planning to play on it. The minimum requirement that your system should be equipped with for running the PS2Emu are –
- Processor: 2.0 GHz or faster
- RAM: 512MB
- Disk storage for installing the PS2Emu emulator: 5MB
- Disk storage for storing game ROMs: 200MB or more
- Compatible video card